Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K)
All children who are four years old on or before September 1 and live in the Madison Metropolitan School District are eligible to participate in the Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K) program.
Welcome to 4K!
In MMSD 4K, your child will learn through a play-based model that provides the opportunity for skill building and development in several areas including language, vocabulary, early literacy, and math skills, as well as social skill development. Your child will learn through play while observing, exploring, experimenting, talking, sharing, pretending, and having fun.
For the 2022-23 school year, MMSD is offering half-day and limited full-day 4K programming at MMSD elementary school sites and community based Early Care and Education (ECE) sites. In MMSD elementary schools, programming is offered Tuesday through Friday (see list of MMSD elementary schools below for more information regarding hours of operation). Programming at ECE sites varies by site. Please contact the site directly for more information regarding hours of programming.
Full-Day 4K (Limited MMSD Schools & ECE Sites)
Half-day and limited full-day 4K programming. Read on to learn what is available at your attendance area school.
Families must live in the school's attendance area boundaries for which they are enrolling to attend full-day programming at that site. If you enroll for full-day 4K and move out of the Madison Metropolitan School District boundaries, your child will no longer be eligible to attend the full-day program. Space in the full-day classrooms is limited; a lottery will be conducted if interest in attendance exceeds the authorized student enrollment. Students enrolled will be expected to attend four full days per week, Tuesday through Friday.
If you enroll for full-day 4K and move from that school’s attendance area before the 22-23 school year begins, your child will no longer be eligible to attend the full-day program at that particular school. You can contact the MMSD Enrollment Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608) 663-4957 to enroll at another site. If you move after the 22-23 school year begins, and you would like your child to continue to attend the full-day program that your child was enrolled in before the school year began, you can do so, providing your own transportation.
Full-day 4K is an equity strategy that supports the MMSD early literacy initiative.
Early Care and Education Sites (ECE)
Several of the ECE sites that partner with MMSD also offer full-day programming. If you are interested in attending 4K at an ECE site, please contact the site directly to determine if they have an option that fits your family's needs.
- The 4K program is an optional, tuition-free* program offered by MMSD
- 4K follows play-based learning standards to get your child ready for Kindergarten
- It takes place in many MMSD elementary schools and early care and education (ECE) centers.
- 4K school supply lists are available on your school's website in the spring.
- There is a summer semester program for kids who did not attend 4K and are entering kindergarten in the fall. Learn more about Jump Start to Kindergarten
- Welcome to MMSD website
- Application for Consideration for 4K Walk Area Exception
*There is a $40 materials fee. If you are attending 4K at an Early Care and Education Center, please contact the site Director for information on how to pay the fee.
Benefits of Full-Day 4K Programming
- Impacts students’ educational trajectory as well as beyond their K-12 education
- Increases literacy and numeracy skills
- Enhances social emotional awareness and motor skills
General Information (All Full-Day 4K Sites)
- Four full days per week, Tuesday through Friday
- Same hours as K-5
- Breakfast and lunch provided